About Lake in the Hills
Lake in the Hills, IllinoisSince 1952, residents and businesses alike have come to Lake in the Hills because of its high quality of life and numerous amenities. The Village offers exceptional services through our highly efficient Police Department, Public Works Department, Community Development Department, Fire Protection Districts, municipal water service, Sanitary District and refuse and recycling services. In addition, the Village Parks and Recreation Department offers a wide variety of parks and programs designed for families and individuals throughout the year.
Lake in the Hills is also home to numerous businesses and services to meet any need. With a number of new businesses locating to Lake in the Hills each year, residents and visitors can expect a greater variety to choose from now and in the years to come.
Lake in the Hills has lakes, with Woods Creek Lake being the largest with two swimming areas - Indian Trail Beach and Butch Hagele Beach. Goose Lake, Willow Lake and Lake Scott are all shallow lakes. Goose Lake is utilized mainly for fishing while Willow Lake and Lake Scott are wildlife ponds. (source: http://www.lith.org/community/page/welcome-lake-hi...)
Lake in the Hills History
Lake in the Hills was once a small residential community with farms dotting the surrounding landscape. Paved streets and major thoroughfares now mask the dirt roads and quieter times. However, a few original farms and fieldstone foundations still stand today as reminders of our past. The history of Lake in the Hills started in 1923, when Federal Judge Walter J. La Buy began purchasing property around what is now Woods Creek Lake, the Village's main lake. By 1926 he had acquired 472 acres as his estate. Along the south side of Woods Creek Lake, on Indian Trail, five stucco houses were built for the judge's children.
Today only one house stands in its original state, while the others have been altered and enlarged. These homes remain clearly distinguished by the gingerbread European Cottage style of architecture. Like other early houses in Lake in the Hills, the stucco homes were used as summer homes. The picturesque views from house to house were credited to Judge La Buy, as he was responsible for planting the many pine and oak trees that are now major attractions for home buyers. Through Judge La Buy's efforts, the lake was dammed and further dug out in 1923, creating Woods Creek Lake. This work was difficult, since mules were used for the excavation. Today, the lake is actually much larger than the original size, as it was enlarged over the years. When it was first completed, the lake stopped just short of where the western-most stucco houses stand. The lot now owned by the Village, between 292 and 290 Indian Trail, was designated as the children's beach.
An island was created just a few feet from the beach accessible by a footbridge. During the 1940's, Raymond Platt, who was affiliated with Dearborn Builders of Chicago, his wife Bernice and brother-in-law J.R. Ladd purchased property from Judge La Buy. In 1947, the Platt's home became permanent and in May of that year they formed the Lake in the Hills Development Corporation. The area was now open to the general public. The Development Corporation nicknamed the area "Out of Bounds Hunting and Fishing Estate" and were credited with the property being called "an outstanding example of a well-planned community in a natural setting."
Many of these summer homes soon became year round residences. In September of 1950, the Property Owners Association (P.O.A.) was formed specifically to address the problems of snow removal and maintenance of the roads. This was the beginning of the first organized Village decision making body, which was formally incorporated November 29, 1952. Lake in the Hills has continued to grow and develop since the 1950's. With its incorporation as a village in 1952, Mr. Platt donated his sales office at 55 Hilltop to serve as the first Village Hall.
In 1959, a new Village Hall and Police court were relocated to 1111 Crystal Lake Road. This remained the municipal center until 1992 when the Village Hall and Police Department offices were erected at 1115 Crystal Lake Road. The Public Works Department was housed at 600 E Oak Street until 1995, when it was relocated to a state-of-the-art Public Works facility, south of Albrecht Road and west of Miller Road.
In 2002, the current Village Hall was erected at 600 Harvest Gate. In recent years Lake in the Hills has seen much growth, increasing from a 1990 population of just under 6,000, to a population of 28,965 today. (source: http://www.lith.org/community/page/history)
The data relating to real estate for sale on this website comes in part from the Broker Reciprocity program of Midwest Real Estate Data LLC. Real Estate listings held by other brokerage firms are marked with the Broker Reciprocity logo or the Broker Reciprocity thumbnail logo (MRED Icon) and detailed information about them includes the names of the listing brokers. Some properties which appear for sale on this website may subsequently have sold and may no longer be available. The information being provided is for consumers' personal, non-commercial use and may not be used for any purpose other than to identify prospective properties consumers may be interested in purchasing. © 2018. http://www.mredllc.com/comms/resources/DMCA_Notice.pdf
Updated: 22nd April, 2019 2:33 AM.